Make Your Date Detroit
The Wayne State University School of Medicine is raising funds to support Make Your Date Detroit, a free program to help pregnant women ensure a safe delivery. Mothers-to-be can take advantage of this powerful and free nonprofit program, offered through the City of Detroit, for assistance in delivering healthy full-term babies on or after their due date.
In Detroit, 1 in 6 babies are born premature. Research shows that coordinated prenatal care and targeted interventions, when necessary, can radically reduce the risks. Make Your Date Detroit not only works with physicians to ensure all patients are offered appropriate tests or treatments, but also with insurers and public health leaders to ensure all women in Detroit have easy access to prenatal care and coverage. With the support of the Mayor’s Office, major medical institutions, universities, foundations and insurance companies, Make Your Date Detroit has built a caring and supportive team dedicated to turning the tide against dangerous preterm births.
Make Your Date Detroit works to inspire neighbors, businesses, media, and community activists to help reduce preterm births and infant mortality in Detroit. Every gift made to Make Your Date Detroit supports a community of caring and a brighter future for Detroit.
For more information on Make Your Date Detroit, visit makeyourdate.org.
November is Prematurity Awareness Month.
Did You Know?
- Over 15 million babies are born premature worldwide, each year
- Preterm birth is the leading cause of infant mortality
- In Detroit, 1 in 6 babies is born premature - this rate rivals that of third world countries
- The City of Detroit has an infant mortality rate of 14 deaths per 1,000 - double the rate of the entire State of Michigan.
What are we doing about it?
Make Your Date Detroit is a nonprofit organization that is fighting to turn the tide against premature births in Detroit. Since our start in 2014, Make Your Date has reached over 8,500 pregnant women to provide the Make Your Date Healthy Baby Plan, a comprehensive plan that is designed to keep moms on track to achieve healthy pregnancies and healthy babies. The plan includes:
- Implementing evidence-based strategies to reduce the rate of preterm birth
- Connecting expectant mothers to prenatal care and health insurance
- Providing preterm birth prevention education and group prenatal care
- Ensuring access to important tests, screenings & medication during pregnancy
- Increasing access to transportation assistance by providing Lyft rides, bus passes, and parking passes for prenatal appointments
- Delivering constant support and follow up throughout pregnancy to ensure moms-to-be have the medical interventions they need to deliver full-term, healthy babies.
How can you help?
- Spread awareness of preterm birth and Make Your Date by following us on social media and sharing our posts this month
- Become a Make Your Date volunteer by sending your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Make a donation or become a Program Sponsor to help us provide essential resources to Detroit mothers - For sponsorship inquiries, please email email@example.com